Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Missionary Memos

We are supposed to spaeak Spanish as much as possible, so I am learning quite a bit. I do not miss the blizzards. Haha, but I do miss you guys.

Here it is very warm and humid, just like everyone said, but it's not super hot. It does feel a little bit sticky when you go outside, but inside, there is always air conditioning, and sometimes we get cold. It is very busy here, but it's a good busy. :)

I absolutely love this place and the people who live here. The other Hermanas y Elderes are very nice, and the Latinos are very patient with us when we try to talk in Spanish.

The Dominican Republic is awesome. From the hallway outside our room, we have a view of the temple right outside and the ocean, further away. It is beautiful! We were able to go to the temple this morning for the first time since I've been here. Elder Henriques from Jamaica and Elder Augustine from Guyanna both received their Endowments today, so it was very special.

This past week we learned how to pray and bear our testimonies in Spanish. I am so grateful for Selene for teaching me how to pray in Spanish, because now it's not so hard. I play hymns every once in a while, but there are two other girls, Hermana Shaeffer (mi compaƱera) and Hermana Bowen who also play piano, so we take turns. We are also teaching an "investigator," Jose Cuevas, who is honestly a little bit frustrating. (Really it's our teacher, Hermano Rubio). He believes in God, but he does not believe church is necessary. He believes he has already been baptized and that the Sabbath is supposed to be on Sunday. It's hard, but he is progressing, and that's what matters. One of the major points here is that you don't teach lessons, you teach people. That is very important. Each person you meet needs to hear a certain message, and you can't jump in and teach them without listening to their needs and without listening to the Spirit.

I am not as frustrated about the language as some of the other missionaries; I know it will come. But it is just a little frustrating when I can't communicate the things I know I need to say. However, with time and faith in the Lord, I know it will all work out. :)

Sincerely,

Hermana Bates

No comments: